More than 500 climate strikes are planned this week in the U.S.–including at least 16 in Maine–in an intergenerational action to demand action on climate justice and to highlight the climate change crisis. Learn more and join a strike near you!
What began in 2018 with a school walk-out by 16-year Greta Thunberg in Sweden has grown to a worldwide movement of weekly strikes by youth calling on adults and governments to take action on the climate crisis. For the international Sept. 20 Climate Strike, youth strike leaders are calling on adults to join them at one of the more than 6,000 events in 150 countries scheduled for that day, including more than 500 in the U.S. and more than a dozen in Maine to be held throughout the week.
Organizers of the Climate Strike, led by the Future Coalition, are calling for immediate and significant action to address the climate crisis, including a Green New Deal, respect of Indigenous Land and Sovereignty, environmental justice, protection and restoration of biodiversity, and implementation of sustainable agriculture. The strike kicks off a week of global climate action and comes just before the United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York City and a separate Earth Strike on Sept. 27. In Maine, climate strikes are being organized by a number of groups, including 350 Maine, Maine Youth Climate Strikes, Maine Youth for Climate Justice, and others. Additional locations are being added so check back often!
- Attend a strike. Find a strike near you from the list below.
- Make your own strike. If you can’t attend one of the strikes below, you can still participate by walking out of your home or place of work on Sept. 20 in solidarity with youth climate strikers.
- Share on social media. Share a link to this post on social media, as well as photos from the day of the strike. Use the hashtags #StrikeWithUs and #ClimateStrike.
- Learn more. Find more information about climate change and adult allyship to youth-led movements, and volunteer with and support the organizing groups in Maine listed above.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 19
- PORTLAND: Sign Making Party at 6 PM in Fort Allen Park in Portland. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by Patagonia.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 20
- BANGOR: 11:00 AM in the front of Bangor High School, 885 Broadway in Bangor. Organized by 350 Maine and Maine Youth for Climate Justice. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook.
- BAR HARBOR: 12:00 PM on the Bar Harbor Village Green. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook. Organized by Earth in Brackets, 350 Maine, Maine Youth for Climate Justice, and A Climate to Thrive.
- BELFAST: 12 PM at Resistance Corner, 143 High Street in Belfast. Organized by Engage Waldo. More info and RSVP HERE.
- BLUE HILL: 11:30 AM at the Mill Stream Bridge in Blue Hill. More info and RSVP HERE.
- BRUNSWICK: 10:00 AM on the steps of the Bowdoin College Art Museum, 255 Maine St. in Brunswick. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook. Organized by Sunrise Maine.
- CAMDEN/ROCKPORT: 2 PM on the athletic field of Camden Regional High School at 25 Keelson Drive in Rockport.
- DOVER-FOXCROFT: 2 PM on the East Maine St. bridge in Dover-Foxcroft. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by the Piscataquis Democrats.
- ELLSWORTH: 12:00 PM at the Union River Bridge on Main Street in Ellsworth. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. More info and RSVP HERE and on Facebook.
- 12:00 PM at the Meetinghouse gazebo at 508 Main Street in Farmington. Organized by 350 Maine and Maine Youth for Climate Justice. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE.
- 5:00 PM at the Farmington Maine Post Office at 196 Main Street in Farmington. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by Western Mountains Peace Action Workshop.
- KENNEBUNK: 12:52 PM at Kennebunk High School at 89 Fletcher Street in Kennebunk. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE.
- MACHIAS: 1:30 PM at the Machias Dike on Route 1, 111 Main Street. Host Contact Info: Dr.MaineBlackfly@gmail.com. RSVP and more info HERE.
- NORWAY: 4:30 PM at Longley Square Park, 413 Main Street in Norway. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook.
- ORONO: 11:20 AM in the back parking lot of Orono High School at 14 Goodridge Drive in Oron. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE.
- SOUTH BERWICK: 5 PM in the South Berwick Town Square. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by the South Berwick Democrats.
- 9:00 AM at the Vassalboro Qtr Quakers table SPA tent at the Common Ground Fair at 294 Crosby Brook Road in Unity. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE.
- 11 AM at Founders Hall at Unity College at 90 Quaker Hill Road in Unity. RSVP and more info HERE and on FACEBOOK. Organized by Unity College faculty.
- WATERVILLE: 4:00 PM at the corner of 110 Main and Temple Street in Waterville. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook.
- WATERVILLE: Sept. 15 at 11:00 AM at the First Congregational Church, 7 Eustis Parkway in Waterville. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook.
- ROCKLAND: Sept. 17 at 5 PM at the corner of Park & Main Streets in Rockland. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by Midcoast Maine Indivisible.