More than 500 climate strikes were held Sept. 20 all across the U.S.–including 20 in Maine–in an intergenerational action to demand action on climate justice and to highlight the climate change crisis. See image galleries below from some of the Maine strikes (click on the image to enlarge) and demand that Congress take action on the Climate Crisis
What began in 2018 with a school walk-out by 16-year Greta Thunberg in Sweden has grown to a worldwide movement of weekly strikes by youth calling on adults and governments to take action on the climate crisis. For the international Sept. 20 Climate Strike, youth strike leaders called on adults to join them at one of the more than 6,000 events in 150 countries scheduled for that day, including more than 500 in the U.S. and 21 in in Maine. An estimated 4 million people took part worldwide, likely the largest climate protest in world history.
Organizers of the Climate Strike, led by the Future Coalition, called for immediate and significant action to address the climate crisis, including a Green New Deal, respect of Indigenous Land and Sovereignty, environmental justice, protection and restoration of biodiversity, and implementation of sustainable agriculture. The strikes kicked off a week of global climate action and came just before the United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York City and a separate Earth Strike on Sept. 27. In Maine, climate strikes were organized by a number of groups, including 350 Maine, Maine Youth Climate Strikes, Maine Youth for Climate Justice, and others.
- Attend a climate strike. Although most of the climate strikes in Maine were held Sept. 20, there will be a few in the coming week. See the list below!
- Contact your members of Congress. These strikes were intended to force policymakers to take action to prevent further damage from the climate crisis and to begin working toward a greener future. Share photos from the strikes with Senators Collins and King and Representatives Golden and Pingree. And tell them how climate change is affecting your family and your livelihood. Find contact information below.
- Learn more. Find more information about climate change and adult allyship to youth-led movements, and volunteer with and support the organizing groups in Maine listed above.
- Write letters to the editor. Every newspaper in Maine should have at least one letter to the editor about the climate crisis each week. Preferably more. Natural Resources of Maine has a list of all the newspapers in Maine and contact information for submitting an LTE.
CLIMATE STRIKE EVENTS THE WEEK OF SEPT. 23
- ORONO: 11:20 AM, Monday, Sept. 23, in the back parking lot of Orono High School at 14 Goodridge Drive in Oron. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE.
- LEWISTON: 11:30 AM, Tuesday, Sept. 24, at the Dufresne Plaza on Lisbon Street in Lewiston. Organized by RESIST Central Maine. RSVP and more info HERE.
CLIMATE STRIKE EVENTS HELD IN MAINE SEPT. 15-20
- WATERVILLE: Sept. 15 at 11:00 AM at the First Congregational Church, 7 Eustis Parkway in Waterville. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook.
- ROCKLAND: Sept. 17 at 5 PM at the corner of Park & Main Streets in Rockland. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by Midcoast Maine Indivisible.
- PORTLAND: Sept. 19. Sign Making Party at 6 PM in Fort Allen Park in Portland. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by Patagonia.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 20
- BANGOR: 3:30 PM at Broadway Park in Bangor. Organized by 350 Maine and Maine Youth for Climate Justice. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook.
- BAR HARBOR: 12:00 PM on the Bar Harbor Village Green. Host Contact Info: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook. Organized by Earth in Brackets, 350 Maine, Maine Youth for Climate Justice, and A Climate to Thrive.
- BELFAST: 12 PM at Resistance Corner, 143 High Street in Belfast. Organized by Engage Waldo. More info and RSVP HERE.
- BLUE HILL: 11:30 AM at the Mill Stream Bridge at 66 Main Street in Blue Hill. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. More info and RSVP HERE.
- BRUNSWICK: 10:00 AM on the steps of the Bowdoin College Art Museum, 255 Maine St. in Brunswick. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook. Organized by Sunrise Maine.
- CAMDEN/ROCKPORT: 2 PM on the athletic field of Camden Regional High School at 25 Keelson Drive in Rockport.
- DOVER-FOXCROFT: 2 PM on the East Maine St. bridge in Dover-Foxcroft. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by the Piscataquis Democrats.
- ELLSWORTH: 12:00 PM at the Union River Bridge on Main Street in Ellsworth. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. More info and RSVP HERE and on Facebook.
- 12:00 PM at the Meetinghouse gazebo at 508 Main Street in Farmington. Organized by 350 Maine and Maine Youth for Climate Justice. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE.
- 5:00 PM at the Farmington Maine Post Office at 196 Main Street in Farmington. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by Western Mountains Peace Action Workshop.
- KENNEBUNK: 12:52 PM at Kennebunk High School at 89 Fletcher Street in Kennebunk. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE.
- MACHIAS: 1:30 PM at the Machias Dike on Route 1, 111 Main Street. Host Contact Info: Dr.MaineBlackfly@gmail.com. RSVP and more info HERE.
- MONHEGAN ISLAND: 1:00 PM on the Monhegan Church steps at 1 Church Lane in Monhegan,. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE.
- NORWAY: 4:30 PM at Longley Square Park, 413 Main Street in Norway. Host Contact Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. RSVP and more info HERE and on Facebook.
- SOUTH BERWICK: 5 PM in the South Berwick Town Square. RSVP and more info HERE. Organized by the South Berwick Democrats.
- 9:00 AM at the Vassalboro Qtr Quakers table SPA tent at the Common Ground Fair at 294 Crosby Brook Road in Unity. Host Contact Info: email@example.com. RSVP and more info HERE.
- 11 AM at Founders Hall at Unity College at 90 Quaker Hill Road in Unity. RSVP and more info HERE and on FACEBOOK. Organized by Unity College faculty.