Image: Students from Yarmouth High School participate in the National School Walkout on March 14. Image courtesy of Kari Herer.
Thanks to student activists leading the way, momentum to fight for common sense gun reform shows no signs of slowing down. Next up: Town Hall For Our Lives on Saturday, April 7 in Brunswick and Bangor. Check out our complete list of Maine events and make plans to join one…or organize your own!
JOIN AN EVENT
Mainers are responding to the tragic events at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL–the 30th mass shooting less than two months into 2018–with vigils, rallies, actions, and meetings organized by groups all across the state. More than 40 schools in Maine joined in the March 14 National School Walkout and a dozen towns hosted a March for Our Lives sister march and buses of Maine students traveled to Washington, D.C. for the national event March 24. For more information about other actions related to gun violence prevention, contact Moms Demand Action-ME at Maine@momschapterleaders.org and Maine Gun Safety Coalition at firstname.lastname@example.org. This list is a work in progress. Have one to add? Email us at email@example.com. And brush up on your gun violence knowledge with our guide: Arm Yourself…With Facts! Need posters for these or other events? Find them HERE, free to download and print!
- Monday, April 2 at 8 am in Augusta. Gun Violence Prevention and Advocacy Day, organized by Moms Demand Action-ME.
- Saturday, April 7 National Town Hall For Our Lives, organized by Town Hall Project as a call for communities in every state to invite their elected officials and candidates to attend town hall events to discuss the issue of gun violence. In Maine, town hall events have been organized by students in Brunswick, held at the Brunswick High School at 10am, and by Maine Gun Safety Coalition, Moms Demand Action and others in Bangor, held at the Bangor Public Library at 3pm. Use the hashtag #TownHallForOurLives
- Friday, April 20 National School Walkout. National student-led action in schools across the country. While Maine schools are on break during this time, the Maine Gun Safety Coalition is holding a Walk-In Against Gun Violence at USM in Portland from 10am to 2pm. If you are a high school or college student, join others at this event to learn from other students and help craft the next steps in taking effective action.
- Friday, April 20 National Day of Action Against Gun Violence in Schools, organized by a large coalition that includes National Education Association, Moms Demand Action, Everytown for Gun Safety, Badass Teachers, and others. High School and college students are encourage to attend the Maine Gun Safety Coalition’s Walk-In Against Gun Violence at USM in Portland.
- Tuesday, April 24 Bangor – Brewer Moms Demand Action April Meeting at the Bangor Public Library at 6pm
- Stay tuned for more details on a march June 2 for National Gun Violence Awareness Day.